snow to sunscreen

It snowed today and the flakes are still coming down. I love the way Kirksville looks after a big snow! Unlike St. Louis, no one is in a hurry to shovel their driveways or plow the streets so everything looks clean and white.

In class yesterday we talked about the stages of cultural adjustment. Basically it starts with the honeymoon stage characterized by excitement, then the hostility stage where you get frustrated with the differences in culture and language, then the humor stage in which you accept the differences and laugh it off, and it ends with the home stage where you feel like you are at home. We talked about how it is important to be aware of these stages and know that the feelings we will experience will be normal. We also talked about how when we come back to the states it will be another culture shock because we got so used to living a different way. Like whoa, flushing toilets? My own room? We also talked about how whenever come back from a big trip you want to talk about it all the time and show everyone your hundreds pictures but other people don’t really care as much as you want them to. I keep laughing about how true this is. Also as Joy pointed out, everyone loves looking at baby pictures of themselves but when you look at someone else’s you get bored after a few. Egocentrism I guess, a common theme that comes up in our classes.

We talked about our living quarters as well. All 23 of us will be sleeping in one room with bunk beds. Being respectful of each other’s sleep is going to be important especially since all of our research projects will be occurring at different times of the day. For example, my project will involve being out late at night but others will be getting up early in the morning. As far as bathrooms go we have two showers uphill from our cabin and two pit toilets downhill (thank god these are not reversed).

I’m trying to gather my thoughts on what I still need to buy and what I need to pack. I never can decide how many of things like shirts and shorts to bring. This is probably because I hate making any kind of decision. I have decided I will need lots of sunscreen, this white bod can’t handle much.

Anyway, I’ve got to get back to finishing my paper so I can enjoy the weekend. Only two days of class left!