La Mica

Unloading the bus at La Mica

Unloading the bus at La Mica

We arrived at La Mica in El Cope toward nightfall on Tuesday. A group of local guys were waiting to carry our packs the 15 minutes over a rough and rocky road to the site for the biological research station. The station itself is rather simple, with rough-hewn wooden dorms, pit toilets, and showers that are open to the sky. We have no electricity or Internet, which is going to be a pain for me if I am to get any of my own work done. We have a loud smelly generator that we run a couple hours each nite. Right now I’m in an Internet cafe in Penonome, and in the 2 days since we left Panama city I have more than 300 new email messages. Worse, the Internet here is so slow that it is taking forever for them to download so I don’t even know yet whether I have anything urgent or important that needs my attention.

Yesterday morning we went by the police station in El Cope, and in the afternoon we went up to visit the national park. The park is a cloud forest and then it started to rain, we we got rather wet and muddy. Today we came to Penonome (which is the local “big city,” the Kirksville of northeast Missouri, if you will) to go to the local museum, do some shopping, and use the Internet.