Life as the Morale Enforcer

I have recently taken up the moniker “Boss Salisbury” as recognition of my role as the group’s peacekeeper.  Insubordination is dealt with harshly, as Will discovered this morning.

Tuesday we flew out of Lambert at 6am.  It was the 2nd night out of the last three in which I had gotten less than 1 hour of sleep, so the day was a bit of a struggle.  But we got to Panama City nonetheless.  It was super cool seeing the hundreds of ships sitting outside the entrance to the canal from the plane.

That night we arrived at LaMica, where we ate dinner and hit the sack as soon as possible.  Amenities are sparse, but we do have the benefit of running water and electricity from a generator.  Nights are hot and humid, and sleeping has been difficult, as the mosquito nets prevent any sort of breeze from reaching my face.

Yesterday we walked through the town of El Cope and got to spend a few hours in Omar Torrijos National Park.  Definitely different from anything I’ve encountered before… even in the “dry” season it is sopping wet.  Saw a two-toed sloth hanging from a tree with its baby wrapped around its body.  Not in Kansas anymore.

The male contingent of our group has made a beard pledge, but I sometimes question their commitment to the cause.  I guess we’ll see in a few weeks how devoted everyone is to not shaving.  On a similar note, Ethan and I are playing a game, in which the first person who showers loses.  So far it’s a tie.

The mountains here are weird… similar in height to the Appalachians but much steeper and greener.  Weird shapes too.  Expansive vistas have been limited, since the mountains are enclosed in clouds much of the time.

Chad Montgomery is a Diet Coke consuming machine.  I had no idea.

Recently learned Spanish phrases:

“My beard is good” (me barba es bueno)

“Shut up and kiss me” (caiete, da me un beso)

I’m hoping to use these in tandem.

Til next time,

The Boss

1. #1 by Greg on February 18, 2010 - 3:11 pm

hahahaha, paul, your posts are going to very entertaining.

2. #2 by Phather on February 18, 2010 - 8:18 pm

Be careful with those phrases – I don’t want to read something in here along the lines of,

“Panamanian chicks are HOTT!! I’ve been married two whole days and it isn’t so bad!”

Perhaps I should ask those (more grown-up) Truman girls to keep you out of trouble . . . then again, will they?

Phather

3. #3 by Dawn Routledge on February 19, 2010 - 4:07 pm

For the love of your heritage-shower man, SHOWER. 🙂

4. #4 by Mom on February 20, 2010 - 8:13 am

Good morning!
    Have a good day. Do not get malaria. Make the most of your opportunities. Hope you can attend a Panamanian worship service tomorrow or sometime this weekend.
    I am beat today-guess it is the cummulative affect of the chemo.
    Love you, Mom

5. #5 by Mom on February 20, 2010 - 2:21 pm

I washed your car today!! It looks better!
    Is there anywhere that you can run safely there-for exercise, I mean-not to get away from the girls!
    Love, Mom

6. #6 by Baillie on February 22, 2010 - 10:51 am

I do hope you’ve given up your shower competition by now. I fear you may rot.

Comment from the Spanish major: “dame” is one word. But the mistake is understandable. Just a reference point.

Hope you’re having a blast!!!!