Look! We have arrived :) I miss my family!

We have just arrived in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, I am certain! We travelled about 3 hours outside of Panama City (where we landed) and arrived in El Cope about 5 pm on Tuesday. From there, we had our first taste of what living here will be like. The hike to get to our station takes about 15 minutes and goes along the river twice, up several steep banks, and you have no idea what else! I hope by the end of the two months I will be so familiar with the path that I can video tape it just so everyone can see the path we take daily! It’s a beautiful trip 🙂

But the paths get better! The jungle is so thick in places that when we were walking I wanted to scream out, “Is this really the trail?!” We were trekking through the thickest patches of forest imaginable!

Yesterday, we saw a Momma sloth with a baby just hanging out in a tree above the jungle canopy. They were both so adorable! We all tried to get pictures, but the zoom on the cameras made it challenging to get clear photos.

Today, we are in Penonome where there is an internet cafe- the reason I’m able to blog today!

I’ve already had a few experiences with using my spanish speaking skills, but its much harder than I thought it would be! I have so much I want to say and can’t always firgure out how to get it out! Hopefully I just continue to become a better speaker!

Lot’s to do in the next few days and I’m not sure when we’ll be able to get internet next, but I’ll be sure to blog as soon I do!

Miss you Ben 🙂 You’re my favorite!

1. #1 by Mom on February 18, 2010 - 9:38 pm

Hi Rebecca,
    I saw Audrey’s pictures and they are amazing. The toliet and showers looks very how should I say “rustic” The sloth was pretty cool. Just think 3 days ago you were trekking through the snow.
    Keep your head up and watch for snakes.
    Write often we love it.
    Sue (Audrey’s mom)

2. #2 by Sue/Mom on February 18, 2010 - 9:57 pm

I’m glad you made it safely! It sounds beautiful! You are going to have so much fun…so much to do! I can’t wait to see pictures of everything. We are supposed to get more snow this weekend last I heard so enjoy your warm weather. BTW: Scraps ate a pigeon! lol Thought you would like that one. 🙂 Stay safe and have fun! ttyl Love you tons, Mom

3. #3 by Ben Hale on February 21, 2010 - 4:47 pm

Whoa I didn’t know we could write back!

Yeah I miss you too Rebecca! But I am excited for your crazy trip – it sounds like it has been awesome so far! I look forward to hearing what the field work is like 🙂

<ur3

4. #4 by Harold Ward (Grandpa) on February 22, 2010 - 11:46 am

Hi Kiddo, Be sure you take lots of pix, we can delete when you get home but you can never go back and take the one you missed ! Most of the snow melted yesterday. Grandma had a great b’day, Cheryl’s brood (6) took us out Sat for Dinner, and Brad’s crew went to church and lunch. Love ya and wish you the best two months you can immagine (without Ben) Missed you 2 Sun. G’pa Ward

5. #5 by Sherry Dinges on February 22, 2010 - 4:22 pm

Hi Sweet Pea! Looks like you’re enjoying yourself so far and the jungle sounds like a lot of fun and mysterious too. Know you are getting a kick out of seeing animals in their natural habitat and not in a zoo. Don’t worry about your Spanish; by the time you leave, you’ll be speaking like the natives. I’ve even picked up some from my Spanish speaking customers who like to come through my line whenever they come in just so I learn something new each day.) Am confused by what Mom said about Scraps and a pigeon though…..she has never gotten out of the house and, as far as I know, we didn’t have a pigeon in residence with all the other animals I am sharing a home with…….and please don’t send me anymore for a while. LOL Just now getting caught up with your blog as I have been working six days and no energy after getting home but will do a weekly check to see how things are progressing for you. Love you and may the next month and a half be as enjoyable for you. Gma