Beach Bound

I´m in the internet café in Penome again, I´m in a bit of a hurry so I´ll try my best to say everything that’s happening. We are on a bus heading to Panama City where we are staying for a night and then getting up very early in the morning to go to Kuna Yala. Kuna Yala is a bunch of islands in the Caribbean coast where the indigenous Kuna people live. We will be visiting them and staying on our own island! Chad thinks we are getting way too excited about the whole island thing because he says it will be more of a sand bar but either way it sounds amazing. (Greg this is where the sand and palm trees come in)
Since the last time I wrote I´ve been to the park a few more times. The other day I got to go at night and start my project. There is a lot more action in the forest at night although it’s a little more scary since its hard to see where you are going and you have to stay very aware of your surroundings (check for snakes and such). Maeve and I found some more katydids for our collections, I believe someone named one of them George McLeaferson because it looked just like a leaf. I prefer not to name them because it makes it easier to kill them later. We saw lots of frogs in the park that night as well as a few snakes. Nancy and Ethan found some crabs for their project and we also saw tons of ants. The leaf cutter ants are my favorite but it’s the army ants you have to watch out for, Chad got attacked by some that crawled into his boots it didn’t look pleasant.
The food is still good although some of us were starting to get tired of rice everyday and were craving sweets. I think Julie might have overheard us saying this because last night for dinner we had BBQ chicken, French fries, and ice cream. Just what I needed.
Most of us have still been bathing in the river. We named the rocks in the middle of the river hygiene island. Even with hygiene island our room STINKS. Last night I was on a mission to figure out where the stench was coming from. I couldn’t figure it out at all. Later we found Nancy´s wet shirt under one of the bunks but the room still stanks. I think its just a combo of many things.
We also found a new hangout place. A little down the trail there is a spot of rocks that sits in the sun next to the river. It’s a great place to lay out and read. I don’t think I applied the sunscreen well enough yesterday and have a few awkward spots on sunburn. Oh well, it sounds like that way better than the 2 feet of snow I´ve heard about in Kirksville (suckas!).
I would like to thank Angela for the email and Shannon for the fb message of updates, its nice to know you still remember us. I miss you guys. I listen to the Oh! song twice already on the way here and it reminded me of you guys.
I don’t have time to put up picture yet maybe later. Got to go and beach it up!

1. #1 by Paul on February 22, 2010 - 1:29 pm

worst blog ever. haha, jk, i didnt actually read it, i just wanted to say that

2. #2 by shan on February 22, 2010 - 3:13 pm

“its nice to know you still remember us…” duh, girlfriend.
    oh and PANAMA CITY??? i’ll be there in 2 weeks!!! …jokes.
    glad greg got his palm trees and beaches. miss you.

3. #3 by Aunt Reggie on February 23, 2010 - 3:32 pm

Andrea, love reading about your adventures. Keep them coming. i told your mom to pass along that I wanted the bossiest katydid named after me. If you are going to kill them then forget my request.

4. #4 by Steve G on February 24, 2010 - 8:44 am

I was going to try to write something funny but I had to laugh at what Aunt Reggie wrote and I don’t think I can top that. Anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I will admit that I had to wikipedia katydids to remember what they were and I learned that the British call them “bush crickets” which I thought sounded more like what people in Kentucky would call them. Good luck finding more of them bush crickets. -Steve