Two weeks in…!!

It feels like so much longer than two weeks! I can not believe how many amazing things I have done in that time. Where to start?!!
Kuna Yala was so awesome! We stayed on an island in the middle of the Carribean. The Kuna are an indiginous people who live on islands and take boats from one to another. We were there during their independence day and got to witness thier reinactment, a two day very detailed event. Then there was a big celebration and we got to take part in it! The beach was amazing as well; I felt as if I was living in a photo! I have the most amazing pics to show everyone when I get home! The most amazing sunsets ever!!! We lived in little tents and we each had our own. We got to put them wherever we wanted on the island. I put mine right next to the waves so that they would put me to sleep and so that I would wake up and step out of my front door and see the sea. It was unreal!! We ate a lot of fish caught that very day! So tasty! But the sun was really harsh, very low latitudes and my winter white skin couldn´t handle too much of it.
Then we went back to La MICA, the research station we are staying at. We went out to the park, a cloud forest!, and set up all we needed to in order to begin research. Then we took our first data set that night. We spent a total of nine hours walking around in the streems and hiking in the park. I was worn out!!!
But no time for stopping!! Slept maybe five hours and got up and hiked for about an hour inorder to catch a bus. It was so hot and I almost didn´t make it! I have a cold and the butt kicking from the research and the lack of sleep combined almost took me out of the game! lol.
So we caught a bus, and then another, and then yet another, to make it here to the cuttest little mountain town, Boquete (I think thats how it´s spelled). We have three free days. They are like our weekends I guess. So a big group of us came here to this cute little town and hiked this trail yesterday. The view was breath taking!!! I can not even begin to explain it to you, and the pics will never do it justice. Guess you´ll just have to come for yourself!! Another day of nine or so hours of hiking means today is all about chill. Going back to El Cope tonight. I don´t want to leave this town, I like it sooo much!! But next week we are going to Santa Marta for home stays. I have to admit I am a little nervous about those!!
I really needed this break, I was getting a little stressed having no personal space, the hotel here has a lot. Missing home more than I expected to, but loving it here so so much! Two weeks down, five to go. I´m ready! What adventure is next?!

1. #1 by Mom on March 5, 2010 - 8:16 pm

Audrey,
    It’s sounds like this adventure is turning to more than you expected but in a good way. I bet waking up next to the ocean was awesome. Only two weeks it feels like you’ve been gone two months. How big are these lizards that you are studying???? Are you going to send anymore pictures??? Is your Spanish getting better??? Can’t wait to hear from you again.
    Love Mom

2. #2 by Kebm on March 9, 2010 - 8:04 am

This is all so awesome, Audrey!! I can’t wait to get an idea of what you’re seeing from the pictures! Sounds like you’re getting in really good shape-bet you’re glad to have a good pair of boots! How did the home stay go?! I bet you did great with your Spanish. Las familias y los hogares son muy diferentes de en Los Estados Unidos, no? iEstoy pensando de tu! Hasta luego dude.

3. #3 by CATA on March 13, 2010 - 10:37 am

Audra!!! everything sounds soo amazing!!! dont be nervous for your home stays!!! u will do fine! remember our spanish practice we had at dinner before you left l0l you are going to have a million pictures and i cant wait to see them all!!! and im so jealous you are getting a real tan! l0l the weather here krazy!! cold hot cold hot ahh!! love u n be safe!!

4. #4 by Audra on March 13, 2010 - 11:25 am

Mom, the lizards are normal size 🙂 Cant put up pics, the card and my computer arnt compatible. My spanish is okay, getting a little better. But for the most part I dont know that much. Love you! Kebm, yes, the family is very different! It was crazy to see how they live! Thinking of you too:) Cat, i did okay with the talking, but we should have practiced more! Im not getting a real tan actually… kinda but im still very white! Maybe its because im surrounded by Panamanians! lol Our weather is similarly crazy.. rain heat rain heat! lol. Love you and miss you too!