Victoriano Lorenzo

The rapids on the Tortuga

The rapids on the Tortuga

It’s the dry season in Panama, but as Pablo says it rains all the time anyway. The river floods, and the trail to La Mica becomes even more treacherous. It would probably be beautiful if my only experience with it was not trying to hike out with a heavy backpack with my laptop on my way to Penonome to check email, plagued with the constant fear that I’m going to slide off the trail and flip over backward with my computer submerged into the river.

I tagged along this morning to an interview that Chris did for his project on his local history of El Cope, and then annoyed him by asking a bunch of my own questions. The woman, who turns out to be a rather interesting local organizer, mentioned Victoriano Lorenzo, one of the local liberal leaders from the Thousand Days War. I first ran into him last year when we were here and a peasant group held a protest march on the anniversary of his execution on May 15, 1903. Apparently he haunted the hills around El Cope. He seems like an interesting character similar to other liberal leaders of his era (such as those in Bolivia, and later Sandino in Nicaragua), and an interesting topic for further study.