Mi familia de Panama!!!

Wow! We stayed in Santa Marta this past week and it was so amazing! It was a home stay so I got to see how they lived, worked, ate… the whole nine yards. One day we did a huge hike to a plane crash, it was a beastly hike! Lol. And another day we hiked to these amazing waterfalls and swam. It was so much fun! The soccer game with the children was one of my favorite parts! I love soccer, and playing against Panamanian ten year olds was no walk in the park! They take their futbol serious here! We also had a dance one night, the community threw a fiesta for us. I had a lot of fun seeing the authentic Panamanian dances. We got to help with work and see what their daily lives entail. That was a humbling experience. We also helped build a house, a mud house. With our feet!! HAha it was sooo much fun!!!

My family was so great! They welcomed us with open arms and made me feel at home. It was funny how everyone kept referring to the people they were staying with as ‘my dad’ or ‘my sister’ and it was nice to have some family time. My spanish isnt too great, but we did pretty well communicating. They played us the guitar and sang songs, and cooked awesome food! Overall I had a great time and the experience was very humbling. I hope to keep writing to my sister and maybe we will be pen pals for life! 🙂 Off for more adventures now, art in the park. Love and miss you all at home!!!!

1. #1 by Missy on March 18, 2010 - 1:16 am

It sounds like your getting so many chances of a lifetime. Just enjoy all you can. We miss you and look forward to seeing all your pics and stories when you come back! Zack and Ryan both can’t believe your all they way down there! lol Missy

2. #2 by Lynn on March 18, 2010 - 4:01 pm

I enjoy reading your blogs!! I love hearing about youngsters having to do hard work and your descriptions sounds like our camp outs back when we were teenagers lol. everyone here says hi and I can’t wait to see you Memorial Weekend

Lots of Love,
    Aunt Lynn

3. #3 by CATA on March 18, 2010 - 9:27 pm

Audra it sounds like you had alot of fun during home stay! i am glad everything went well!!! love reading your updates and being up to date i almost feel like i am there with you with all of the details! 🙂 cant wait for you to be home! miss u very very very very much audrraaaaaa!!!!

4. #4 by Mom on March 19, 2010 - 11:20 pm

Audrey, the story about the chickens running through the kitchen made me laugh. I can read between the lines and know that you are being exposed to so much more than you or I ever expected. I have so many questions and cannot wait until you get home. Have you seen any monkeys yet????? Love Mom

5. #5 by Lynn on March 23, 2010 - 10:31 pm

Hi Audra,
    Enjoyed the videos on sugarcane extraction.
    What do they do with all of the left over pulp?
    Do they recycle it? Does sugarcane grow wild?
    Do they plant it in fields
    Does it grow from seeds like corn.
    Fill me in in all your spare time. Love,Aunt Lynn