So it’s been a while since I’ve blogged

So I wrote this on the 22nd and a lot has happened since then……found out about 90  percent of my mosquitoes are not the correct Genus so I’m switching my project, went to El Valle, went to Aguadulce, went to the park a few times, laid on the rocks, went to Cano again, went to Panama again, got mugged, spent a morning at the hospitcal with Traci, and much more I’m sure, but I’ll write more about that later.

I haven’t had a chance to make it to the internet for a while, so I think this blog is just going to be a bit of word vomit to try and fill those in at home of what I’ve been doing. I don’t even remember what the last thing I wrote about was, so I guess I’ll just start with Santa Marta.

Santa Marta is a tiny community even farther up in the mountains than El Cope.  I guess it was last week that we did homestays there for about 4 days, and I found myself wishing I had taken Spanish instead of French in high school. I was so jealous of everyone that could communicate with their host family and formed such a bond. Thankfully, Traci and I had Joy to translate for us, but I really wish I could’ve said and understood more for myself. We stayed with the local “doctor,” who is in fact some kind of health assistant and probably has about as much medical training as me. The family situation there was just awkward (I’ll explain more later). We did get to spend a morning observing at the clinic, which I found fascinating, depressing, and frustrating (again that’s all I’ll say about that for now). I couldn’t communicate directly with our mom much, but I could tell she is a strong and kind hearted woman. We were very glad to have the chance to help her in the kitchen to learn a few new things and just to feel useful. I was surprised to see her tear up the morning we left. I didn’t realize until how much the experience had meant to her. Our second day in Santa Marta was an all day hike to and from the spot where Torrijo’s plane crashed. I was definitely exhausted at the end of the day and didn’t want to see another hill for a long time, but it was an amazing experience. I even got to ride one of the horses for a while, which was quite thrilling. I was wondering how it is they make it over all the rocks and crevices when my horse was going up a muddy bank and fell on his front knees. I was halfway out of the saddle and ready to bail when he hopped back up. As great as the plane hike was and the day of two of the most amazing waterfalls I’ve ever seen, I think the highlight of the week was probably the dance. The last night we were there, the community had a party for us complete with a local band and dancing (including a duet of Joey and a Panamanian woman).

After Santa Marta, I spent a few days at Cano and housesitting for Julie with Hanna. Cano was fantastic! I got swarmed by more mosquitoes than I’ve ever seen in one spot and Hanna got attacked by a huge nest of leaf cutter ants (see her blog for more details). I guess that really doesn’t sound fantastic, but I was really excited to catch 50 mosquitoes in one day and although I hate to see Hanna in pain it was kind of amusing to see her all the sudden freak out and start spraying her foot madly with the water hose. On a brighter note, I discovered I have a hidden knack for finding tiny beads in dirt and briefly considered switching career goals. I hear it is difficult to find a job in archeology though, so maybe I’ll stick with my current plans.

I’m spending the rest of today and tomorrow at Julie’s with Traci since she can’t exactly hike to La Mica and Wednesday morning we leave for Bocas. I think that means I only have like two days left at La Mica……crazy! I can’t beliveve our time here is almost up. I miss home a bit, but I think I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the laidback lifestyle here. I don’t know if I’m quite ready to go back to the stress of my life back home. Maybe I’ll get a chance to blog in Bocas. If not, this is probably my last blog, so see you all back home soon!

1. #1 by 'Gene B on March 29, 2010 - 11:44 pm

Hope the rest of your stay is less stressful. Maybe my prayers for your safety has paid off, but maybe I should have been asking for more (never satisfied). Sorry about your loss, but grateful that you are ok. Very sorry about Traci. What a BUMMER. Love you. Anxious for May.

2. #2 by Rebecca on April 12, 2010 - 10:22 am

Cameron! We’re home and you still haven’t blogged 🙂 Can’t wait to see you on campus and recognize your face now 🙂